I am currently working on behalf of a well-known building services consultancy that specialise in all aspects of building services, to recruit a Principal Mechanical Engineer. The company in question has developed an incredibly strong presence in the market and is known for its excellence and consistent delivery. Due to sheer work load, the client is now looking for an experienced engineer to work on one of the largest London projects and/or alongside a signature architect focused on Middle East developments.
The consultancy in question has been established for many years and delivered projects across the globe successfully. This has cemented their reputation as one of the best and most reliable consultancies in the market.
With more than 200 employees including engineers, designers, architects, programmers, analysts and researchers that represent the core staff, they are able to take on a variety of technically challenging projects and explore solutions from a multi-layered perspective.
As a Principal Mechanical engineer you will be hands on but also responsible for building relationships with clients, developing business opportunities, leading projects and managing a team of MEP Engineers. You will be client facing, technically well rounded, and offer the benefit of your experience to encourage and mentor other engineers. It is vital that you have a strong work ethic and you are motivated to help to develop aforementioned engineers.
With previous consultancy experience in a similar role, you will have a degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent qualification. Ideally you would also be chartered, but this is not essential. You should have excellent technical knowledge in your primary discipline and a thorough understanding of Building Services Engineering and interdisciplinary design through all stages of the design process. You should be experienced with mechanical related design software and have UK experience.
If you are successful in this position you will be rewarded not only by taking satisfaction in achieving great results, but also financially plus various incentives and benefits.
- To be involved with project delivery, establish client brief, technical requirements, scope of works, cost plan and agree deliverables, i.e. report, specifications and drawings scope for all projects within the group.
- Agree level of service, commensurate with fee with the Project Director, for each project. Manage fee draw down and assist Project Director with invoicing.
- Carry out engineering concept design to detailed design, tender and contract on site supervision, to completion, ensuring projects are undertaken in accordance with design briefs and that completion deadlines are achieved, via frequent design reviews with engineers.
- Ensure all design projects and reports within the group are technically compliant, to a consistent quality and standard. Maintain regular 'in house' design reviews and checks.
- Monitor and control project progress, design variations and project financial budgets.
- Maintain excellent client relationships and contacts to achieve high levels of satisfaction and repeat business. Manage client's expectations and promote a team approach.
- Develop new business opportunities where appropriate and participate with company presentations.
Experience & Qualifications
- Membership of a professional engineering body (preferably a Chartered Engineer).At least 7 years' experience.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills.
- Understand client requirements/objectives.
- Thorough knowledge of statutory legislation and standards.
- Commercial awareness and acumen.
This role will suit a self-motivated and confident individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a proven track record of exercising commercial judgement together with practical knowledge to deliver positive outcomes.