The BIM Technical Manager role entails taking ownership of production of our BIM models (and also all 2D and 3D drawings) to ensure that they are delivered to a consistently high quality across all projects and in accordance with agreed programmes. The BIM Technical Manager will also drive the organisation’s transition to BIM with the ultimate goal that the workstreams of the MEP engineers and BIM Technicians is seamless.
To achieve this all engineers will need to be fully conversant in Revit and all supporting software, in order to deliver coordinated BIM models (and also 3D drawings) from inception to completion of future projects.
The BIM/CAD Manager is required to identify, influence and implement change, as well as keeping abreast of developments within the industry.
- Organise and manage regular weekly meetings with BIM/CAD staff and team leaders to determine current and foreseen workload and utilisation.
- Report on the company’s current and projected status regarding BIM implementation.
- Create upgrade and deployment strategies for the BIM implementation including advising on current workflow, strategies, budgets, projects, staffing, etc in terms of design teams and project requirements.
- Create a plan for implementation.
- Demonstrate the company’s BIM success by evaluating goals that were established in the earlier phases.
- Set targets and monitor workload against deliverables.
- Report any feedback or issues concerning either projects or team to the directors.
Training and HR Management
- Undertake internal training of staff or advise on requirements for Revit fundamental and Intermediate training.
- Manage and lead internal CPD Revit training sessions.
- Provide technical orientation to new employees in respect of Revit/BIM tools.
- Write a competency test for new employees to test skills in BIM/Revit.
- Maintain high level of competency in the most up-to-date software by ensuring regular use and training.
- Ensure effective performance management standards are maintained within the CAD/BIM team and deal with poor performance (where it arises).
- Undertake staff appraisals.
- Manage the department recruitment process.
- Promote team morale and encourage cooperation, collaboration and team working.
- In conjunction with Directors, help retain high quality staff.
- Take responsibility for the integration of BIM (and CAD) standards development, implementation and enforcement.
- Advise on the creation and maintenance of the BIM (and CAD) software template files to assure standards.
- Assist in developing and enforcing BIM documentation and workflow process standards.
- Utilise a good level of oral and written communication (excellent report writing skills, in particular) setting the highest standards of communication both internally and externally.
- Ensure compliance with Mecserve’s Quality Assurance procedures, completeness and adherence to company standards of all drawings produced.
- Ensure commercial awareness of the BIM &CAD deliverables on all projects and regularly review the position and report to the Project Director.
- Provide continued feedback on time and money spent on projects, ultimately providing costing guidelines for future likeminded projects so that fees can be accurate.
- Maintain required level of utilisation and complete timesheet on a weekly basis.
Project Interface – BIM Project Management
- Assess the needs of clients and users and agreeing the project brief.
- Support project standards coordination with staff and clients.
- Manage the process of creating Revit families in response to project need.
- Assist in the resolution of BIM design issues providing a co-ordination role.
- Utilise experience in BIM methods and procedures and responding to EIRs, authoring or contributing to BIM Execution Plans and setting up delivery mechanisms to meet the clients BIM requirements.
- Keep project documentation up-to-date and comply with file management protocols.
Hardware and Software Management
- Manage, in conjunction with our IT support team, the hardware and software needs of the team including preparing planned replacement schedules, budgets etc.
- Evaluate new software and hardware and report on its suitability.
Health & Safety
- Report all accidents/incidents or near misses.
- Ensure adherence to all H&S requirements at all times.
- Review and action where necessary findings provided by any member of the team internal or external under your direction during their review of accidents/incidents/near misses.
- Provide management with health and safety information as and when required.