I have an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Designer to join a multi award-wining building services consultancy based in either their London or Buckinghamshire locations. As a company they have an exciting portfolio which includes financial, pharmaceutical, hotels & resorts as well as some of the most innovative residential and mix development projects in the UK and overseas.
They have led the push to a zero-carbon future – whether through the initiating the London Energy Transformation Initiative (LETI) or the recent publication of CIBSE TM65 Embodied carbon of building service.
The nature of the role will require a high degree of adaptability and flexibility. The role requires endless curiosity – the currency in this business is new ideas and you will only be able to generate these if you stay on top of your continuing professional development within the workplace and outside.
If you are results oriented, who enjoys challenging opportunities and has a positive attitude, this an amazing opportunity for you to join a dynamic, forward-thinking company with a great team environment and like-minded individuals.
To effectively undertake the role, it is anticipated that day-to-day tasks will include:
- Provide support to the Environmental Design + Sustainability team.
- Work within Team environment and be able to instruct technicians and support staff in their work as it relates to the projects under the Engineer’s control.
- Undertake environmental analysis including: energy performance analysis, MEP systems simulation, compliance analysis against UK and international energy codes, daylight, sun/shade, glare, external microclimate, and CFD.
- Simulation to assess design compliance with UK Regulations and standard methodologies, eg. Part L, BB101, TM52, TM54, TM59, TM652.
- Knowledge and experience of ASHRAE 90.1 modelling, together with LEED Energy performance requirements, including Apache HVAC.
- Simulation of heating and cooling loads for mechanical system design.
- Knowledge and understanding of high-performance façade design.
- Understanding of the principles and integration of PassivHaus design requirements.
- Development of bespoke analysis methodologies to meet project requirements – could require existing software processes, or development of new tools.
- Lead environmental design and energy focused projects, delegating and disseminating tasks to meet the project requirements.
- Maintain and/or develop a broad understanding of general sustainability issues as they relate to the built environment including application of LEED, BREEAM, WELL, Fitwel and other international benchmarking systems.
- Maintain knowledge of latest codes and regulations as they relate to environmental design.
- Receive and execute instructions from Project Leads to be responsible and accountable for the completion of assigned projects and tasks with the required level of quality, on time and on budget, with minimum guidance and supervision.
- Provide high-quality consultancy services, providing clear and applicable guidance and recommendations, allowing projects to realise their potential.
Essential Skills & Experience
- At least 5-years’ experience in environmental design and sustainability in the built environment.
- Hold a relevant degree in engineering/ architecture/ science and have experience in the built environment field.
- Able to provide a deep understanding of sustainability and environmental design issues relevant to the built environment – at all scales of development.
- Developing relationship building and client management skills.
- Experience of delivering high-quality technical reports.
- Knowledge and experience of dynamic modelling for compliance and operational energy analysis.
- Knowledge and experience in the application of energy modelling software (IES, Energy+, TAS), environmental design tools (Grasshopper for Rhino, Ladybug, Honeybee, Radiance, THERM etc), and scripting tools such as Perl/ Python.
- Excellent attention to detail and high standard of written English.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams etc.