Join a multi award-wining building services consultancy. They have an exciting portfolio which includes financial, hotels as well as some of the most innovative residential and mix development projects in the UK and overseas.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will excel in engineering design, the management of projects and the management of teams, working on multiple projects including multi-million pound schemes.
They will support the directors with the ongoing development of improved standards and procedures within the company, whilst taking the lead in managing everyday operations utilising their extensive experience.
They will act as design lead on projects, promoting design excellence and they will mentor and develop the skills of the engineers in their team. Leading by example they will ensure the highest standards of health & safety and quality.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will assist the directors to develop business opportunities, confidently marketing the company and expanding their network of contacts, delivering presentations and winning work.
Their financial acumen will ensure that projects are delivered on time and on budget, and they will prepare fee submissions, negotiate appointments and ensure timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Take responsibility for all technical aspects of the design of safe, economical and reliable mechanical systems to meet the contractual scope of work and comply with the applicable standards and regulations.
- Lead the preparation of clear and concise drawings, specifications and product schedules to define mechanical systems.
- Ensure coordination of mechanical design with other disciplines (e.g. architectural, structural, electrical) to minimise conflicts and avoid costly revisions.
- Oversee the process of checking tender submissions, drawings and technical submittals to ensure quality of products and equipment are in accordance with design.
- Undertake site visits and monitor progress against the design.
- Assist subcontractors to ensure compliance with drawings and specifications and resolve problems during construction.
- Lead technical work in the area of mechanical design within the company.
- Manage teams and projects internally and externally in respect of deliverables, resources and financials.
- Review of appointment documents and scopes of service.
- Set targets and monitor workload against deliverables.
- Report any feedback or issues concerning either projects or team to the directors.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and utilise a high level of oral and written communication (in particular well developed report writing skills) setting the highest standards of communication both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate a high level of skill working on smaller and quick turnaround projects and the ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Ensure compliance with Quality Assurance procedures.
- Build relationships and contacts with potential sources of new work, maintain existing relationships.
- Undertake the delivery of presentations and pitches.
- Develop new business opportunities and win work.
Health & Safety:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the CDM Regulations, specifically the Designers requirements.
- Ensure completion of all risk assessment documentation in a timely manner.
- Report all accidents/incidents or near misses.
- Ensure adherence to all H&S requirements at all times.
- Use and maintain appropriate PPE.
- Provide a safe working environment for all staff at all times.
- Review and action where necessary findings provided by any member of the team internal or external under your direction during their review of accidents/incidents/near misses.
- Provide management with health and safety information as and when required.
Training and HR Management:
- Manage junior staff internally, providing mentoring and leadership and help to identify opportunities for junior staff to develop.
- Provide constructive feedback to junior staff.
- Deliver internal training and seminars in different specialist aspects of the discipline.
- Undertake staff performance reviews.
- Assist with recruitment, undertake interviews of potential candidates.
- Promote team morale and encourage cooperation, collaboration and team working.
- In conjunction with Directors, help retain high quality staff.
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of BSRIA BG6 and RIBA stages, Part L, BREEAM, renewable technology etc. and be able to share your knowledge.
- Demonstrate expertise in condition surveys/report writing (including pre-acquisition, vendor, dilapidations, etc.).
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of other MEP engineering disciplines, other than your own, sufficient to understand their impact in the overall design, and converse at a high level.
- Ensure excellence in the use of the following systems; Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Hevacomp or IES, Outlook.
- Develop ability to use AutoCAD and Revit.
- Attained or working towards Chartered status.
- Undertake Continual Professional Development by reading technical journals, attending relevant IEE/CIBSE technical seminars from time to time and attending in house seminars aimed at increasing technical and operational knowledge.
- Ensure that technical performance standards are met on all projects.
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of project costing principles and control potential cost overruns during project development.
- Utilise strong financial management skills to negotiate additional fees with the client that may be due.
- Forecast resourcing via Union Square management database.
- Preparation of fee proposals.
- Maintain required level of utilisation and complete timesheet on a weekly basis.
- Ensure that projects are invoiced promptly, and assist with debt collection.
- Represent the company at design team and client meetings with confidence.
- Liaise with clients and others to obtain technical and operational information relating to the projects.
- Maintain a project overview at all times, able to provide updates on project status to client and others whenever required.
- Keep project documentation up-to-date and comply with file management protocols.